Driving overseas? Get an International Driving Permit.
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a special tourist licence that allows motorists to drive overseas without further tests or applications.
It’s proof you hold a valid driver’s licence in Australia and is a requirement for driving and renting a car in many countries.
RAA is the only organisation in SA authorised to issue an IDP.
What you need to know about IDPs
- IDPs are valid for 12 months.
- They’re a translation of your Australian driver's licence and must be accompanied by your valid Australian driver’s licence at all times.
- They show your identification details in nine languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Greek, German and Japanese), making them a handy form of ID when communicating with foreign authorities.
- It’s still important to familiarise yourself with the road rules of the countries where you plan to drive.
- Cost – $42 plus postage if you're ordering online.
- Your IDP will take 3-8 working days to process online, or you can get it immediately at any RAA Shop.
Which country do you wish to drive in?
Before purchasing an IDP, it’s highly recommended you visit the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) International Driving Permit Directory and check your destinations for IDP requirements.
Apply for an IDP
We're here to help
Call usMonday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 12pm
Enquire onlineSend us a message and we'll contact you
Find a shopDrop in and chat face-to-face
Help centreGet answers to frequently asked questions, view terms and conditions and more