Latest travel updates and advice
For more than 117 years, we’ve been here to help. Our priority is for the health and safety of our members and all South Australians.
The continuing spread of the COVID-19 virus throughout much of the world has prompted airline, tour and cruise companies to drastically reduce services and in many cases cancel tours, packages and flights at this time. As the situation changes, we’re keeping all our consultants in the loop, so they can provide you – our members – with the most up-to-date information.
How we're helping our members
We understand that many customers who’ve booked overseas holidays are experiencing travel disruptions.
We're doing our best to respond to your emails, phone calls and booking requests, prioritising these based on departure date.
Essential travel information
What you need to know
- Helping our customers: currently, we're helping customers who are departing this month, to at-risk destinations, as well as those who are currently overseas. We're also working through case by case scenarios where a deadline for changes has been imposed by the airline or supplier.
- SA borders closed: From 24 March 2020, the South Australian government announced its borders closed, and those returning will need to self-isolate for 14 days. For further information visit www.sahealth.sa.gov.au.
- Self-isolate and social distancing: From 24 March 2020, all people entering South Australia are required to isolate for 14 days from their arrival. Travel throughout South Australia is not currently restricted however consideration of social distancing requirements and restriction and closure of indoor and outdoor venue (including pubs, cafes, restaurants & sporting venues) should be considered if making any bookings within SA. For further information visit www.sa.gov.au/covid-19.
- Avoid all non-essential domestic travel: On 23 March 2020, the Federal Government issued advice is to avoid all non-essential domestic travel within Australia.
- Australians not to travel: 18 March 2020, the Australian Government advised all Australians not to travel at this time. If you're already overseas and wish to return to Australia, the Government has recommended you do so as soon as possible by commercial means. For further information visit www.smartraveller.gov.au.
- Suspended travel operations: As of 16 March 2020, almost all tour companies, cruise lines and suppliers have suspended operations and any travel which has been booked for the period from now until at least 30 April 2020. We'll advise if the suspension is extended.
- Cancellation and/or amendment penalties: please be aware that, if you decide to cancel your holiday, you might still incur cancellation and/or amendment penalties, and refunds are subject to the terms and conditions of the airline or supplier. Speak to an RAA Travel expert to find out more.
- Airlines travel credit: individual airlines are examining their own networks and routes and may decide to offer a future travel credit, but not necessarily a refund. Speak to an RAA Travel expert to find out more.
- Cruise update: Between the 12th and 14th of March, cruise lines in Australia and around the world have cancelled itineraries which were due to commence within 30 or up to 60 days from announcement date. From 15 March, all international cruise ships have been banned from sailing into or out of Australian ports for 30 days. For further information visit www.smartraveller.gov.au.
COVID-19 Travel Insurance FAQs and hotline
International travel FAQsA list of FAQs will be provided soon, in the meantime if you have any questions relating to your upcoming holiday plans, please call us on 8202 4589.
RAA's response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View RAA's response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) to see what we're doing to look out for our members, our staff and the South Australian community.
We’re only a phone call away
Got a COVID-19 related query?If you have an RAA Travel Insurance policy, we have set up a dedicated hotline for COVID-19 related queries.
Have an overseas booking?We understand many customers who've booked overseas holidays through RAA, have experienced travel disruptions. Call us, we're here to help.
Have a booking in SA?We understand recent travel restrictions may have impacted your travel plans. If you've booked an SA experience or accommodation, call us.
We appreciate your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time for the travel industry.
We know the current situation will not go on forever. When it passes, we’ll still be right here to help you experience SA, Australia and the world.
Going forward, we will continue to prioritise those bookings needing immediate attention. We'll address your query as soon as we can.
Useful COVID-19 links
Australian Government Department of HealthUpdated daily with the latest medical advice and official reports
SmartravellerView the latest travel advice, warnings and entry restrictions from the Australian Government
World Health Organisation (WHO)View the advice from the World Health Organisation (WHO) including their FAQ’s
AFTAResources from the Australian Federation of Travel Agents Limited (AFTA)
The Government of South AustraliaView the latest official COVID-19 news and updates in South Australia.
Exclusive member benefits
No hidden costs
RAA can take you anywhere
Maybe you have a special type of holiday in mind…
We're here to help
Call usMonday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Thursday, 8.30am to 7pm
Saturday, 9am to 4pm
Sunday 12pm to 4pm
Enquire onlineSend us a message and we'll contact you
Find a shopDrop in and chat face-to-face
Help centreFind answers to frequently asked questions and more
RAA is an ATAS-accredited travel service
ATAS accreditation offers you peace of mind when planning and booking your next trip. Only Australia’s best travel agencies get the privilege of bearing this symbol, meaning they’re top in the industry and can provide you the best experience possible. It also recognises our large variety of national and international destinations on offer, and our commitment to using the best suppliers.